What a great year 2018 has been for our industry and our association! I am so grateful for the opportunity to have served as the Carolinas AGC Chair and truly appreciate every single member and staff person that makes this organization so great. I have had the distinct pleasure of growing up with the CAGC family. I can remember going to conventions with my parents as a child. My children will have those same fond memories. When my father started Mashburn Construction in 1976, one of the first things he did was join the CAGC. I remember him telling me once that the CAGC had a major impact on him building a successful construction company. It’s not just about all the many things that the AGC does but it is about the bond that you build with the people that are going through the same things that you are in this business. One thing that I have found throughout my career is that people who are tied to this business are some of the most down-to-earth sensible, caring people on this planet.
In our recent new board orientation meeting, I mentioned that the Carolinas AGC Board of Directors has spent the last several years righting the ship from a difficult economy and a transition of leadership. We have finally gotten to a place where we can focus 100% of our energy on looking forward and that is a blessing. Here are some of the many accomplishments of this past year that I am very proud of. Rest assured that your Carolinas AGC Board and staff are working very hard for you and making our industry better.
- We have had excellent participation on some 80+CAGC meetings throughout the Carolinas -- including quarterly luncheons, socials and other events – in the major cities of the Carolinas.
- We continue to do great work in the state legislatures in Columbia and Raleigh, as well as in Washington DC with AGC of America and ARTBA, to seek badly needed infrastructure funding for transportation, building and utility needs.
- We are helping tackle the workforce shortage issue by ramping up our CAGC Build Your Career program and continuing to increase the presence of CAGC ambassadors to help promote construction as great career in the middle schools, high schools, community colleges and with educators, parents, coaches, etc.
- We continue our efforts to rebrand the construction image as a terrific career via ongoing efforts in NC with a joint venture with CAGC and the NC community college system and in SC by promoting construction via Be Pro, Be Proud and other efforts.
- We are bringing added value to our CAGC members with member discount programs such as our new CAGC Multiple Employer 401(k) program, which we hope to have up and running in May 2019.
- Our Annual Convention and Summer Summit were both sell outs and we anticipate even more next year.
- We continue to deliver what it is you need concerning government relations, safety, business leads, Young Leaders, open shop, and Education & Training via CAGC, the trusted voice of construction in the Carolinas.
Again, thank you for the opportunity to serve as your Board Chair for 2018. Ron Brown will soon be taking over the reins for 2019 and will continue our construction journey to make this Association Great Again! I look forward to seeing many of you at the Annual Convention in Charleston later this month.